Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Uncooperative Tension Arm on my AVL

AVL's tension is nice when it works but I can't seem to get this right. I've tried less weight, tightening cords, etc. etc., and the arm just drops on top of the tension disk. It seems to weave OK but I don't think it is good for that weight to ride on the disk,



*Update 2/6 .... Uhh, kind of embarrassing ... uhh ... this warp is rolled on the beam backwards! I am surprised it weaves at all. Thanks for all the help fellow AVL weavers. I don't need to fix it now but it certainly explains why the tension arm was dragging.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if you have the warp wound on the warp beam backwards. My warp is wound the other direction...it comes off the front of the warp beam in its path to the front of the loom. Your setup for the tension arm looks the same as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila for your comment. The warp is rolled on the beam in the correct direction. It just seems that between the nylon covered cable that runs around the flange on the beam, the spring, and the cord, I have too much length. The loom came to me this way. It wasn't being used when I bought it so I never saw it in action. Kind of a mystery how it used to work

    ReplyDelete