Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What a Sample Reveals

I am a believer in full-sized "samples" for lots of reasons. I already know there is quite a difference with the tension and the beater weight between the bigger and the smaller loom. A skinny sample can fool the weaver into thinking that the sett and the pick out are correct or for that matter the yarn is behaving as planned. And of course there are the color interactions between warp and weft. What might have looked good in a skinny sample could look nasty full-sized. Rather I choose to create a "prototype", a fully completed version of what I want to produce in greater quantity - on the LOOM it  will be produced on. Although the purpose of this warp was to experiment with the Compu-Dobby, I did end up with a functional "prototype". What I like: the lighter colors and my random lift plan (in what order the harnesses are raised) and the plain weave, tabby, stripes. What I don't like: the darker colors with the random lift plan, too much of a difference in values between warp and weft.


The prototype is fringeless. I feel this is nicer on a scarf, easier to tuck under a coat. How do I do my hems? I overlock the fisrt weave picks while cutting off the waste yarn. I then slighty pull up on the overlock thread tails on each end and needle weave them back into the overlock. I turn this over, over again and use a straight stitch. I press to lock the stitching into the cloth. Makes a nice secure neat hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment